Special Educational Zone
Until the Realization of Ota English Special Structural Reform Zone
- Summary of the vision
Having received the decision by the cabinet council regarding the implementation of Special Structural Reform Zone proposed by the ex Prime Minister, Mr. Koizumi in June, 2002, the Division of General Policies in Project Department (the Division of Project and Policies today) started selecting the proposed visions of the Special Zone.
Eventually, Ota-city decided promoting Foreign Language Special Educational Zone and Land Transportation Special Zone, and then embarked on the summarization of the vision statement.
- Submission of the 1st proposal (deadline: the end of August, 2002)
Ota city submitted Cabinet Office the proposals of Foreign Language Special Educational Zone and Land Transportation Special Zone. The Total of 426 visions in 249 groups have been submitted from all over Japan.
- Plotting the program in order to promote the Special Structural Reform Zone (October, 2002)
The Special Zone Promotion office of the government and the government agencies held a council several times based on the nationwide proposals, and showed the total of 80 items as preferential measures that can be implemented at Special Structural Reform Zones. Also 107 items were indicated as the matters of regulation reform including the time and the content.
(Rights and Wrongs of Preferential Measures regarding the proposal from Ota city)
•Deliberation is needed with regard to adding the educational continuity from the elementary school to the high school to the range of the meaning of the school.
•”Project of Placing Research and Development School of Special Structural Reform Zone” has been established in the preferential measures of Special Zone. The 12-year educational continuity, smooth cooperation with the curriculum, resilience of curriculum, free setting of the subjects, and resilience of the curriculum guidelines had been approved and the proposals from Ota city have been basically realized.
•The current law allows English speaking teachers to teach subjects as a homeroom teacher.
- Submission of the 2nd proposal (deadline: January 15th, 2003)
Resubmitted the proposal with regard to the insufficient contents from the preferential measures that had been indicated after the 1st proposal.
(The essential points of the 2nd proposal)
•To add the 12-year educational continuity to the “meaning of the schools” of the 1st article in the school education law.
・To enable a business corporation or a non-profit organization to be a main body of the school setting.
・To provide the head of an authorized municipality with the authority of licensing.
・To permit to utilize the English textbooks.
・To receive the application of the subsidy for private schools.
- Rights and Wrongs of the content in the 2nd proposal of Ota city
・A business corporation or a non-profit organization can be the main body of the school setting. ・The authority of licensing is the prefectural governor.
・The authority of licensing is the prefectural governor.
・Various curriculum can be planned including the 12-year educational continuity, and the utilization of English textbooks not following the curriculum guidelines under the ”System of Research and Development in Special Structural Reform Zone”.
・The subsidy for private schools is applicable as long as it is an educational foundation.
- Submitted the application form of Special Structural Reform Zone (April 1st, 2003)
・To receive the application of “Project of Placing Research and Development in Special Structural Reform Zone”. Special Zone Promotion Section was created in the Division of General Policies.
- Certificate has been conferred as the 1st Special Structural Reform Zone
- The Preparation Office of Founding an English Special Educational Zone has been newly established.(September 1st, 2003)
- The prefectural governor assigned the authority of licensing to the Ota city mayor (October 7th, 2003)
The assignation of the authority of licensing to the head of municipality in the Special Zone has been realized regarding the authorization to establish the Special Zone School that had been proposed at the 2nd proposal.
- The Preparation Committee for Establishment of Educational Foundation of Ota Kokusai Gakuen has been established. (November 1st, 2003)
The committee is the organization before the current Educational Foundation of Ota Kokusai Gakuen and became the main body for preparing for the new school foundation. It undertook the basic design of the school buildings.
- The appointment has been announced to the expected teachers including Mr. Eugene Cooper (the expected principal at this moment). (April 1st, 2004)
- Pre-school opened (April 6th, 2004)
- The construction of the school buildings has been undertaken. (April, 2004)
- The Ota city mayor approved the foundation and the establishment of Educational Foundation of Ota Kokusai Gakuen based on the report by the Private School Deliberative Council.
- The construction of the school building has been completed. (at the end of February, 2005)
- Gunma Kokusai Academy elementary school started (April 6th, 2005)
1st term students: 1st grade 107 4th grade 59
2nd term students: 1st grade 101 4th grade 40 (April 6th, 2006)
3rd term students: 1st grade 106 4th grade 36 (April 6th, 2007)
4th term students: 1st grade 108 (April 8th, 2008)
5th term students: 1st grade 106 (April 6th, 2009)
6th term students: 1st grade 107 (April 6th, 2010)
7th term students: 1st grade 100 (April 11th, 2011)
8th term students:1st garde 106 (April 6th, 2012)
The total elementary school students: 626 (as of April 6th)